- This event has passed.
Independent Bookstore Day
April 30, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join Main Street Books for the second annual INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE DAY, celebrated by over 400 independent bookstores across the country!
Here’s the schedule of activities for the day:
Early Opening- 9am
Bookstore Day Exclusive Items go on sale!
All day activities:
Help complete the World’s Longest Tattoo Chain!
Litographs, the incredible company behind your favorite literary art prints (the ones that form a picture with the words from the book), has taken the entirety of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland and broken it into 5,000 individually designed temporary tattoos. The goal is to recreate this iconic novel on the skin of 5,000 readers. They have collected nearly 3,000 photographs, and the goal is to complete the chain on Independent Bookstore Day 2016! We’ll have the tattoos, wet wipes for application, and cards with instructions for how to add photos to the chain.
Come help us make history!
Blind Date with a Book
When you buy a book at Main Street Books on Independent Bookstore Day, you have the opportunity to choose from an array of advanced reader copies… the catch is that you won’t know which book you’re choosing! Each advanced reader copy will be individually wrapped, with a few clues as to its identity written on the packaging. Customers will receive one Blind Date Book for each full-priced book they purchase on April 30th. Take this chance to make a new book friend and start a literary love affair!
This year, Main Street Books will raffle off three special baskets to support the St. Charles City-County Library Foundation. We could not host the incredible authors we do without their continued support, and we love to give back to them as often as we can. Raffle tickets can be purchased at the counter all day- 1 ticket for $1, 7 tickets for $5, 14 tickets for $10 and 30 tickets for $20. The baskets available will be:
- Main Street Magic: A collection of special items and gift certificates from the lovely stores on Main Street.
- Book Preview Basket- Adults: A collection of highly anticipated adult advanced reader copies.
- Book Preview Basket- Young Adult: A collection of highly anticipated YA advanced reader copies.
Exclusive, Limited Edition Bookstore Day Items
Starting at 9am sharp on April 30th, we will begin selling this year’s limited edition Bookstore Day Items. These products are ONLY available in independent bookstores, and once they’re gone, that’s all she wrote! This year features a spectacular lineup of literary gifts and goodies, including:
- The Neil Gaiman Coloring Book (LIMIT TWO PER CUSTOMER)
- Special Signed-and-Numbered edition of 2-time Newberry Medalist Kate DiCamillo’s new novel RAYMIE NIGHTINGALE. This edition includes a special note from Kate.
- Curious George plush wearing exclusive bookstore day shirt. This is only the second time Curious George has ever worn a logo in his 75 years- the first was the Harvard Logo (he’s a very smart monkey)
- Draw Me! Featuring drawing lessons from such talented artists as Mo Willems (the Pigeon, Elephant & Piggy), Raina Telgemeier (Smile!), Stephan Pastis (Timmy Failure) and Ted Arnold (Fly Guy).
- Literary Tea Towels, featuring quotes from Anna Quindlen and David Mitchell
- $6 Story: The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore: Three Instructive Essays by Ann Patchett, in a signed-and-numbered chapbook edition
- Bookstore Cats Pouch: a limited edition pouch by Out of Print Clothing featuring such illustrious bookstore cats as Trixie Lovecraft, Princess Amelia and Eleanor Bronte
- Special Signed-and-Numbered Duck & Goose Print from Tad Hills, featuring the feathered friends from this beloved picture book and the mantra “Honk! Quack! Read! Repeat!”
- There are also two limited edition free items from authors Brandon Sanderson and Terry Tempest Williams (limit one per customer)
ALL OF THESE ITEMS ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED. WE CANNOT RESERVE OR HOLD ANY OF THEM BEFORE APRIL 30TH, 2016. THEY ARE AVAILABLE BEGINNING AT 9AM ON SATURDAY, APRIL 30TH AND WILL BE SOLD ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE BASIS. ON THE DAY, SHOULD AN “I FORGOT MY WALLET” EMERGENCY ARISE AT THE COUNTER, WE WILL HOLD ONE ITEM IN-STORE FOR ONE HOUR ONLY. WE WILL NOT SELL THESE ITEMS OVER THE PHONE, VIA EMAIL, OR VIA ANY SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS. IF YOU MANAGE TO GET A CARRIER PIGEON TO US WITH A MESSAGE REGARDING ONE OF THESE ITEMS, WE WILL BE INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED AND MAY CONSIDER YOUR REQUEST.
Starting at 9am: Gooey Butter Breakfast!
Stop by starting at 9am to have a cup of coffee and some delicious Gooey Butter Cake (because we’d eat it for breakfast every day if we could!). Courtesy of Picasso’s Coffee House and Little O’s Soda Shop, available while supplies last.
10am: Storytime with Ms. Mary!
Join our resident grandma, librarian and puppeteer Mary for a wonderful and hilarious storytime featuring several delightful children’s books featuring THE BOOK WITH NO PICTURES by B.J. Novak, HOOT AND PEEP by Lita Judge and YOU MUST BE THIS TALL by Steven Weinberg.
11am: Book Signing with local author/illustrator JOHN HENDRIX
The author and illustrator of SHOOTING AT THE STARS and MIRACLE MAN stops by to sign these gorgeous picture books and chat about his illustrating process.
1pm: Book Signing with beloved local author ANN HAZELWOOD
The author of the wildly popular COLEBRIDGE COMMUNITY SERIES is back with a new quilt-based series that takes place in her hometown of Perryville, MO. Pick up a copy of THE FORGIVING QUILT and learn about its sequel, coming in July 2016!
2pm: Book Signing with local Sci-Fi author DAN KOBOLD
The author of the debut Sci-Fi novel THE ROGUE RETRIEVAL creates his stories in the traditions of Terry Pratchett and Piers Anthony Xanth. Grab a copy of his first book and talk science, blogging, humor and sleight of hand with this consummate outdoorsman.
4pm until close: Autographed Book Blitz
ALL AUTOGRAPHED BOOKS IN THE STORE ARE 30% OFF! This includes local authors and NYT Bestsellers. If the book has a gold sticker on it that says “AUTOGRAPHED BY THE AUTHOR” or “SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR”, the 30% discount applies. Grab a gift for a friend or a new centerpiece for your bookshelf!
Main Street Books Event Guidelines: Main Street Books is a locally owned, independent bookstore. We hope you’ll attend our events and have fun. If you would like a book signed, we ask that you consider purchasing your book from Main Street Books. Your support is appreciated and it show publishers that they should continue to send their authors to Main Street Books.
Did you miss an event, but still want an autographed copy? Fill out our Miss An Event form and we’ll help you make arrangements to purchase a signed book.
Still have questions? Contact us please.