Main Street Books opened in May 1993 -- during the Great Flood of 1993. Fortunately, the flood waters did not reach our store on the west side of Main Street.
The store was originally located in Collier Cottage, a building dating back to the late 1860's.
In 2006, we moved to our present location near the Vistitor's Center. Our building was originally built in 1821 by William G. Pettus, Missouri's first Secretary of State. Missouri's first state constitution is in his handwriting.
The building burned down to a shell in the early 1955 (see below) and was later rebuilt.
Today we occupy two floors in the Main Street Historic District near Missouri's First State Capitol.
Please come in and shop. Main Street Books -- warm, cozy, and independently owned.